2150 COMMONWEALTH AVE. — Over the weekend Boston College Residential Life honored the death of one of their own with a traditional salute. Cannons were fired off the top of Maloney Hall to honor the martyrdom of Resident Assistant Darryl Stills (LGSOE ‘20).
Stills was killed during a typical 10:00 PM round last Friday night in the Thomas More Apartments.
According to the building’s Residential Director Ashley McDonough, “the night was going fine” until a Keurig exploded, causing an extension cord to short circuit and set a nearby foam mattress topper aflame.
The fire then quickly spread to all of the loose units of alcohol. For some unknown reason, the residents had stuffed a towel under their door, but this only helped them get even more blazed.
Stills had to break down the door to help his residents escape. While they made it out safely, Stills himself was lost in the flames.
According to his former residents speaking at the service, Stills was a veritably “chill” RA.
“You know, he was just so chill. He was like one of the bros,” said Connor Thompson (MCAS ’19). “Yeah, I had a couple brewskis with him. And when my roommate didn’t want to be sexiled, he just let me smash in his room.”
Darryl Stills will be remembered for his love of The Office, outdated meme formats, and Lower dining hall pizza. He is survived by all of his residents, as he considered them a second family. His parents ask that in lieu of flowers, contributions in Darryl’s name be directed to the Arrupe International service immersion program.